The Best Two Years

The Best Two Years

Monday, April 7, 2014

Elder Egg Head's Panamanian Birthday

Hey everyone!

So, this weekend was great, because we got to watch conference!  I was super excited, because I enjoyed last conference so much!  I was actually really surprised that they didn't announce any new temples!  It is hard to pick a favorite talk.  I found a common theme of courage and standing up for what is right.  If I had to pick one talk, it would probably be the talk given by Elder Nelson. He talked about how we can tie ourselves back to Christ. It was cool because I had listened to a talk by President Hinckley a couple days before about seeking the kingdom of God, and I was praying to know how I would better be able to do that. His talk was an answer to that prayer. Lots of talks were an answer to that prayer. I also enjoyed President Packer's talk. One thing he said really struck me. He said that Heavenly Father CHOSE to be called by the title of "father". I think that is because he wanted us to know where we could turn to peace in time of trial. He could have chosen another title, but he chose to be called father, so we would know that He loves us. I had never heard that before, and it interested me.

President Carmack invited the office elders and the assistants over to his house for the afternoon session on Sunday, and Hermana Carmack made us a typical Sunday roast beef and potatoes with homemade bread for lunch and tres leches cake for dessert!  President took us up to the roof of their building to see the swimming pool, and then their daughter played cello for us.  Apparently she was the best cello player for her level in the US?!?!?  It is a great experience to get to spend time with President and learn from him.

So, the first birthday in the mission was good!  I actually forgot it was by birthday.  Elder O and I had to go to a store to pick something up (I know, on Sunday... L) but I saw a box of toaster strudel and remembered it was my birthday!  We went to conference in the chapel next to the temple, and the sisters from my district bought me a tie, and gave me firecrackers for my birthday!  I guess some of my crazy pre-mission pyrotechnic stories have spread around the mission... haha! 

The best birthday memory came at about two o clock last night, when the Assistants, Elder P and his companion, and the two other office elders came into the house, started making a ton of noise to wake us up, then started singing happy birthday. So, I wake up and walk out to see what is going on, and before I could even get a grip on things, they smashed a bazillion eggs over my head, caked me in a ton of flour, and took a million pictures!  I think I was too tired to be angry, so we just laughed about it, and then I made them clean it up while I showered. Luckily we have hot water to melt all the goop off my head!  It is a mission tradition, and Elder O is next! haha !

That is crazy that the Mariners are in first place!  I have been able to look up some of the scores here and they are doing really well!  Good to hear that Utah is still well represented on the soccer scene as well!  The two most famous teams in the world are Real Madrid, and Barcelona, and everyone always asks me who my favorite is, so of course I say Real..... SALT LAKE! 

Well, there is not much more to report. I loved this last weekend!  And this is my last week of recovery (hopefully) before I can start walking like normal again!  I am excited to get out and work!  C told the other elders yesterday that he will get baptized, he just wants to and needs to get married first!  So, we should have a baptism in the next couple of weeks!

Well, I love you all so much! Thanks for all the birthday wishes!

Love,
Elder Austin Michael Kipp

No comments:

Post a Comment