The Best Two Years

The Best Two Years

Monday, February 9, 2015

Concrete Jungle

Dear Family.

Well, this last week was an interesting one!   On Tuesday, we loaded up on the plane and went into the city to buy all the stuff for changes.  We got there at about eight in the morning, and went right to the office to get the money.  Changes are always super busy, and the secretaries weren't there until the afternoon, so we waited in a restaurant downstairs.  When they finally got there, we learned that our check couldn't be cashed until Friday, so we basically ended up spending a few days in the city literally doing nothing but sitting in the assistant’s house, studying, and I finally learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube.  It was a little frustrating, but we couldn't do anything we needed to do without the money.

We DID get to have interviews with President Carmack, and I asked him about extending.  He said that the choice is completely up to me, and honestly I am not quite sure yet.  I think I know what to do, but I still have to pray about it a little more, so I will probably let you know next Monday for sure.  It was a great interview, and President gave me some great counsel.

On Friday, we got the money, and we ran to PriceSmart (Costco in Panama) with three of the sisters from the zone, and ran around like madmen trying to find everything for the seven islands before they closed.  Friday was just filled with running around in the truck buying things until about one in the morning, and then the next day we had to wake up at four to get in the car and go to the dock.  Then, from there it was a four hour boat ride to our island. The moment I hit my hammock, I was OUT for the count! But, the good news is that I DID get my package!  Thanks mom and dad!  It was the best!

One night, we did eat dinner with a really wealthy family from Canada.  They bought pizza, nachos, lasagna, cookies, soda and a ton of other stuff.  The sisters invited us to go there with them on Thursday night.  How do I do my laundry on the island?   We heat up water on the stove and put it in a bucket with bleach, soap and fabric softener. Then we let the clothes soak, rinse with clean water, and hang the clothes on a rope to dry.  This last week, I got a lot of good study time, and really felt the companionship of the spirit really strong in my life.  I know that the scriptures contain the word of God, and that if we follow the precepts in the scriptures, we will feel of God's love more in our lives, and we will become more like Him.  Well, I am about out of time.  I love you all!

Love,
Elder Austin Michael Kipp

No comments:

Post a Comment